Betelgeuse Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

History and Lore

3 posters

Go down

History and Lore Empty History and Lore

Post  Eli Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:04 am

Eons ago, the continent of Betelgeuse was the home of the Darandelle, a race of great magical prowess. Standing at roughly nine feet tall and of a willowy build, they were responsible for the creation of many artifacts of immense power. From the Focusing Crystals that amplified their power, storing it like an arcane battery for future use, to the fabled Philosopher's Stone: able to break the fundamental rules of alchemy and bring the dead back to life. And at the height of their great power, their own magics turned on them.

Some say it was punishment for their hubris, using the Philosopher's Stone to bring the dead back to life. Others claim that it was their use of the focusing crystals; that their magic was intensified to a point they could not control, and so it controlled them. And yet others still say it was the Elves, the only other sentient race on the continent at that time. Regardless of the cause, they were warped into tortured husks of what they once were; midnight black and of a temperament to attack anything that dare look at them.

And so they became the Endermen, a testament to their own sins.

Thus the Elves were left as the dominant species on the continent, living in their forest city of Miendienl. Possessing magic of their own and led by the king Aldarion Foreson, they destroyed the cities of the Darandelle. Using archaic magics, they hid away their relics, believing them to be cursed, twisted by the same magics that had warped Darandelle into what they had become. Over the years, they came to accept their solitude. In time they came to believe themselves the protectors of what magic remained, vowing to keep it pure. And when other races happened upon their grove, they welcomed them; teaching them what they knew.

And then came the race of man.

Crash landing in the desert nearby Miendienl, they arrived in great contraptions never before seen my the naturalistic elves. They salvaged the wreckage of their airships, and built a settlement in the desert, and traded with the elves for many years. The elves taught them of the Darandelle, and how to defend against the creatures they had become. They warned of werewolves and vampires, and other beasts of the night.

However, the humans soon found that they could not sustain themselves on the meager equipment they were able to craft from the remnants of their airships. They needed fuel. They needed metal. They needed a more permanent settlement than the one they had.

And so they began digging. They migrated to a large plain, and began to dig away at the earth. Ignoring the elves' request that they not tarnish the land, they dug. And what started out as a simple mine quickly escalated when they found a substance that had not been seen since the time of the Darandelle, a substance the elves had long since forgotten the name of. And so the humans named it for its appearance: redstone.

The elves warned that this stone was dangerous, that it may have been what led to the Darandelle's downfall. But the humans soon discovered its use; it could be used to power their machines and to facilitate alchemy. And so their mining took on a new fervor. Soon the peaceful field they had began digging in was turned to a massive strip mine. They built a massive drill fueled by coal. They built refineries and smelters and factories, until the air began to clog with smog and soot.

The Elves looked on in disgust. The vile humans had shown their true colors, ruining the land wherever they stepped. And so they attacked their village in the desert. They used their own alchemy to transmute the remaining machines to sand. They ran the humans out, and the humans fled. They ran to their mine, which the elves referred to only as The Pit.

And so the city of Legaria was founded: a last refuge for the displaced humans.

For a time the humans were in turmoil. They had no true home, no direction. And so it looked as if Man's presence on Betelgeuse would end only a short few years after it began. Until one man stepped up and commanded the people's attention. He took control and established order. At the advice of another, he powered down the drill, re-purposing it as a walkway to traverse the fledgling city. He replaced their use of coal with the use of redstone and their own magic.

And so the house of Mindal became the royal house, and the house Casella the advisers to the king.

Many decades have passed; the two cities at war with only the ruined village in the desert as a neutral ground. There the citizens occasionally meet to barter with one another. Both cities search for the relics left by the Darandelle; the Miendenl to keep them from the Legarians, and the Legarians to study. The Miendienl to keep the Legarians from suffering the fate of the Darandelle, and the Legarians believing the Miendienl seek to use them to finally eradicate them.

Last edited by Sight on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Light editting and spell checking.)
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

https://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

History and Lore Empty Porphoric Hemophilia - Lycanthropy - Myerot

Post  Sight Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:54 pm

A long time ago, in a land known as Betelgeuse..A large army was on the march, lead under command of General Tiberus Kharn. They were enroute to the city of Yyuril. The war had been dragged out for long enough. The kings were tired, the soldiers were becoming weaker due to fatigue and stress. Morale was dropping on both sides, and rations were becoming scarce.

The massive force split in three, the Sanguine division, Myre division, and Lycan division. Sanguine, under the command of Captain Hourus. Myre, lead by Captain Rantz. Lycan, headed by Tiberus himself. They set off in a trident-shaped attack. Headed directly towards the swamplands of Yyuril. Kharn's forces were anxious...they were ready... or so they thought.

Upon entering the swamplands, Tiberus noticed that the very light of day seemed to be hiding behind the trees. The swamps bubbled, the frogs and toads made their croaks, and the flies were busy doing fly things. Though no Yyurilians were anywhere to be seen. It was almost as if they had fled the city.. Captain Rantz noticed that one of the huts' doors were unhinged and broken. Massive claw marks were deeply embossed in the wooden frame, fungus draped along the eves, and blood stained the walls and floor. Hourus of the Sanguine division placed his hand on the walls, feeling to see if the blood was dried. It wasn't, it seeped down his arm, stinging where his open wounds were from the last-night's previous battle. Rantz kicked at one of the spores that had grown closer to the ground. It exploded in a puff of smoke, covering his division. Coughing filled the air, along with gasps and wheezing. Tiberus ran his hand along the inlain sections of wood. A small sliver of bone fell out onto his hand. It was sharp, and pierced his palm. He let out a faint yelp, tossing the bone into the marsh.. The party saw no reason to stay in the village, and set out for their home town.

Several months later, after strange suspicions began to arise that somehow the Yyurilian villagers had managed to defeat the massive army, a search party was sent out. About half way to the village, they found the encampment they were looking for, however, it was filled with strange creatures. Men with sharp teeth, pale skin, and a thirst for blood. Some others whose flesh appeared to be rotten and decaying, their eyes sunken into their heads. Yet there were others still who appeared to be normal, until late that night.. the moon climbed up behind the clouds, and shined down on the party. The men began to change, and morph. Fur covered their bodies, and their very forms were distorted to look like that of wolves.

The wolf-men slew all but one man of that search party. That man ventured on and returned to the hometown known as Miendienl, city of the Elves. He reported the sightings, that of wolves that looked like men in the day, and wolves at night. The blood-drinkers whose teeth were razor sharp, and the men who looked dead, though they walked along with the others. These creatures were named, werewolves, vampires, and the undead.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

History and Lore Empty Re: History and Lore

Post  Eli Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Eh, on the whole I like it, but there's some stuff I might tweak to make it flow better with what I've already written.

Plus it doesn't really tell what vampires and werewolves can and can't do, which is really what we need to establish.
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Right, just writing a bit of backstory. I mean the rules concerning them are different then where they came from and such. I definitely don't want them being retardedly over powered, however the ones mentioned in this tale were the original ones, so their like the Patriarchs of the things and such.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LunaMarilandValentine Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:07 pm

ok weaknesses need to be addressed. I'll just type up the common ones.
Werewolves: Wolf's Bane, Silver.
Vampires: Garlic, holy water, crosses, stake to the heart, cannot enter uninvited, and to a lesser extent silver.
LunaMarilandValentine
LunaMarilandValentine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Werewolves are gonna need some more weaknesses too, like unconventional things that are unique to our role-play. Things like water, intense amounts of heat, etc. You'd think that being under all that warm fur, they wouldn't like getting near fire. They'd burn pretty quickly.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Eli Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm thinking fire is going to be a big no no in general. Nothing enjoys being set on fire. And I might not have vampires be hurt by crosses.
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:11 pm

You have a point. Maybe Werewolves are deathly afraid of Silver, and Gold? Maybe just metals in general are banes towards them? Extremely cold/warm climates?
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LunaMarilandValentine Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:11 pm

come to think of it werewolves don't like fire. but that is all that was included in "traditional" stuff. I like the metal weakness.
LunaMarilandValentine
LunaMarilandValentine

Back to top Go down

Post  Eli Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Werewolves are animals, and have animal instincts. I'd think we can figure some weaknesses from that.

Also, Sight. Why for you no on skype?
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm here in school still, I was hoping you two were on the server so I could use the admin panel to chat.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Eli Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Alright. Getting on the server.
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LunaMarilandValentine Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm trying but my Spout won't open. I'll be on as soon as I can.
LunaMarilandValentine
LunaMarilandValentine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down