Grievances

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Grievances - Page 2 Empty Re: Grievances

Post  Sight on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:57 am

Oak wrote:Okay I agree maybe a bit more in put on the plot, but seriously the admins aren't super-humans. I mean, it takes a lot of effort to both run a server and still role-play to the extent they do. Not to mention taking the effort to know every single one of us and respond to questions etc on a regular basis. Just because the server went down doesn't mean we have to have a huge argument about everything. So yeah, plot input is a good idea, /butcher should be used with caution but it is a relatively minor issue, but apart from that the server is catering for every individual player, they allow us to impact the plot, and I think the admins would have a lot more time to work on the server if we all just stopped arguing.

You sir. Deserve a fucking hug. Thank you.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:02 am

@Arc: You know, you're right. And arguing won't solve anything. If I knew things were going to be fixed anyways, I wouldn't have even said anything.

@Luna: I totally understand. It's basically "stress time" with most people in school due to spring break and reading weeks coming up for uni/college kids, so I understand where you're coming from. And I'm sorry that I made you upset: that was definitely not what I wanted to do. You are a good admin. I just wanted to point out how hurtful it is to say "well, if you don't like it, leave". I've had other admins say that to me, and we left on the absolute worst terms possible because of it. I don't want that here. Everyone is responsible for making the server fun and enjoyable, you know? Having people leave won't solve any problems. But yes, Eli is right: patience and consideration is needed, too.

@Eli: I had no idea that you and others were trying to help by using butcher. If I knew there was an altruistic motive, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. I really did not know why butcher was being used in the first place. Thank you for clearing that up.

I didn't mean to rage or make a list of demands. To be honest, I've been slightly out-of-the-loop lately with the storyline and server happenings due to the volume of schoolwork I've had recently. If I knew the story was being reworked and these problems fixed, I wouldn't have said anything in the first place. I am sorry that you feel under-appreciated, Eli. Like I said before, I offered to donate to the server to keep it up-and-running but my donation was politely refused. And hey, if you need help, you need only ask.

I'm not a bad guy, here. I want the server to be the best it can be. I said this server was the best I've been on, and I solidly stand by that. Again, sorry for the confusion. Hope I haven't pissed people off too much.
Pan N'el Dar
Pan N'el Dar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oak on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:06 am

Sight wrote:
Oak wrote:Okay I agree maybe a bit more in put on the plot, but seriously the admins aren't super-humans. I mean, it takes a lot of effort to both run a server and still role-play to the extent they do. Not to mention taking the effort to know every single one of us and respond to questions etc on a regular basis. Just because the server went down doesn't mean we have to have a huge argument about everything. So yeah, plot input is a good idea, /butcher should be used with caution but it is a relatively minor issue, but apart from that the server is catering for every individual player, they allow us to impact the plot, and I think the admins would have a lot more time to work on the server if we all just stopped arguing.

You sir. Deserve a fucking hug. Thank you.

I'm now expecting one. In character.
Oak
Oak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LunaMarilandValentine on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 am

Qualin_Silverward wrote:@Arc: You know, you're right. And arguing won't solve anything. If I knew things were going to be fixed anyways, I wouldn't have even said anything.

@Luna: I totally understand. It's basically "stress time" with most people in school due to spring break and reading weeks coming up for uni/college kids, so I understand where you're coming from. And I'm sorry that I made you upset: that was definitely not what I wanted to do. You are a good admin. I just wanted to point out how hurtful it is to say "well, if you don't like it, leave". I've had other admins say that to me, and we left on the absolute worst terms possible because of it. I don't want that here. Everyone is responsible for making the server fun and enjoyable, you know? Having people leave won't solve any problems. But yes, Eli is right: patience and consideration is needed, too.

@Eli: I had no idea that you and others were trying to help by using butcher. If I knew there was an altruistic motive, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. I really did not know why butcher was being used in the first place. Thank you for clearing that up.

I didn't mean to rage or make a list of demands. To be honest, I've been slightly out-of-the-loop lately with the storyline and server happenings due to the volume of schoolwork I've had recently. If I knew the story was being reworked and these problems fixed, I wouldn't have said anything in the first place. I am sorry that you feel under-appreciated, Eli. Like I said before, I offered to donate to the server to keep it up-and-running but my donation was politely refused. And hey, if you need help, you need only ask.

I'm not a bad guy, here. I want the server to be the best it can be. I said this server was the best I've been on, and I solidly stand by that. Again, sorry for the confusion. Hope I haven't pissed people off too much.

I'm going to repeat this I never said "If you don't like it leave". this is the third time this has been told to you. You've already pissed me off a lot. So your hope is a bit late.
LunaMarilandValentine
LunaMarilandValentine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KraftyKlutz on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:51 am

This thread has gotten wildly out of hand.
Running a good server while trying to keep everyone happy AND balancing a busy personal life is straining at the least, and I think our admin team does a damn good job of it. The last thing they need is to have their players attacking them over such minute things. When I first saw that Vaur had started this suggestions thread, I was pleased. We DO need a good suggestions thread, but the way that this one has been conducted is disappointing at best. A suggestions thread is designed to be just that. A suggestions thread. NOT a demands thread. So cut the admins some slack. They'll get around to it at the most convenient opportunity.

KraftyKlutz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaurature on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 am

Sight wrote:
Vaurature wrote:
LunaMarilandValentine wrote:Vaur, that's what the admins and moderators are for.

Admins that aren't doing a very good job of it, and yes i know you have other things to do, but you don't really keep us notified at all. This is the equivalent of a shrug from you Luna

Admins that aren't doing a very good job of it? You know what. I work day and fucking night on this server, making it so that people have fun. I literally coded 2873 lines of fucking code so that you could all have access to plugins. I will NOT stand here and be insulted by some ungrateful douche-bag. I take time from my day, I get online at school, I even leave my girlfriend at home from time-to-time just to make sure shit is going perfect. So you know what. Fuck you.

Sight i didn't mean you, your coding skills are what keeps the server up. That makes you the most helpful admin by default. And yes i really should have worded that better, but it is true that no one is really keeping us informed about anything, causing us to need to create subplots to keep us entertained.

Vaurature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaurature on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 am

Qualin_Silverward wrote:@Vaur: A person should not have to read another character's backstory on a mandatory basis. Ever. And if you did read the person's backstory and have your character "know" all of that information, that's metagaming, which is now against the rules. Besides, nobody wants to read a wall of text about a character just to be able to roleplay effectively. Just saying.

Not suggesting that, but it would be fucking nice if someone actually read and made comments on things people put some time in.

Vaurature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AGWizard on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 am

Vaurature wrote:
Sight wrote:
Vaurature wrote:
LunaMarilandValentine wrote:Vaur, that's what the admins and moderators are for.

Admins that aren't doing a very good job of it, and yes i know you have other things to do, but you don't really keep us notified at all. This is the equivalent of a shrug from you Luna

Admins that aren't doing a very good job of it? You know what. I work day and fucking night on this server, making it so that people have fun. I literally coded 2873 lines of fucking code so that you could all have access to plugins. I will NOT stand here and be insulted by some ungrateful douche-bag. I take time from my day, I get online at school, I even leave my girlfriend at home from time-to-time just to make sure shit is going perfect. So you know what. Fuck you.

Sight i didn't mean you, your coding skills are what keeps the server up. That makes you the most helpful admin by default. And yes i really should have worded that better, but it is true that no one is really keeping us informed about anything, causing us to need to create subplots to keep us entertained.

I like the idea of the surprise when something important is happening personally.
Being warned "Server: Hey we are gonna do a dungeon!" makes it lose the feel of realism because you aware its coming.
AGWizard
AGWizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LunaMarilandValentine on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 am

Vaurature wrote:
Qualin_Silverward wrote:@Vaur: A person should not have to read another character's backstory on a mandatory basis. Ever. And if you did read the person's backstory and have your character "know" all of that information, that's metagaming, which is now against the rules. Besides, nobody wants to read a wall of text about a character just to be able to roleplay effectively. Just saying.

Not suggesting that, but it would be fucking nice if someone actually read and made comments on things people put some time in.

Actually Vaur I know Eli, Sight, and I all read it but we felt it was a little too long. Not all of the backstory should be written out OOC. There are plenty of things that should be revealed IC. We hardly knew anything about any of your characters because you didn't say anything. Now I really hope this didn't come across as rude. I really don't mean it to because this doesn't really make me angry or anything. I just thought you'd like a suggestion for the next time you rp.
LunaMarilandValentine
LunaMarilandValentine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Who was demanding anything?! I demanded nothing! The only thing I "demanded" is that the god-modding stops, and the admins agreed that it will. I asked for butcher to be used with discretion, and it will be. I asked for a means to suggest storylines, and there will be. I am perfectly content. No demands here.
Pan N'el Dar
Pan N'el Dar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eli on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm really not certain where you're getting your definition of god-modding, Qualin.
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm

I might be confusing god-modding and powergaming. My definition of god-modding came from 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons. Never mind, just forget that I said anything.

@Vaur: I agree people need to keep up to date with characters in their own RPing "stable". That's perfectly reasonable. All I meant was that its unreasonable to expect everyone to know what everyone else has done lately.
Pan N'el Dar
Pan N'el Dar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eli on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm

It is the present time you build on, not the backstory, that develops great characters. We shouldn't be required to read through three pages of text to get a feel for how your character acts.

And Qualin, I posted a definition of god-modding/powergaming in that veritable essay I wrote earlier.
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaurature on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 pm

When i started this, i meant it to begin as a suggestions thread, not a release for any emotions you've built up.... All of my suggestions would help in their own little way, For example: A MOTW that tells us what we should expect to happen, THIS DOES NOT MEAN telling us that a fire dungeon is coming, and how to get through it. More like, : MOTW: Be prepared for a dungeon at anytime this week, it is planned. Or: MOTW: someone is going to die, but don't fret, they will be back sometime soon.

Little hints that something is going on story wise would keep us from going off on tangents. And if you see someone who is generally trying to rp, but is ignored, atleast try and rp with them, unless they are trolling or something.

I love the God modding rules, that is perhaps one of my favorite rules as it stops /me shoves his sword through {person #1}'s Chest, killing him instantly. Or /me sneaks up and slams his palms on {Person #2}'s Temples.

all in all this is a great server, and if i had a choice of millions of dollars or this server, I'd choose the millions, and donate a few to Eli and Sight to keep it up.

Vaurature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AGWizard on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Vaurature wrote:MOTW: someone is going to die, but don't fret, they will be back sometime soon.

If you know these things are coming you can end up preparing for it and that's meta-gaming and saying someone is coming back to life later ruins the surprise, that why I kept my mouth shut about it because i wanted it to be a surprise, and it was my choice to keep it so. keep off eli's back on the bringing back the dead thing.
AGWizard
AGWizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaurature on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Arc/Sieg wrote:
Vaurature wrote:MOTW: someone is going to die, but don't fret, they will be back sometime soon.

If you know these things are coming you can end up preparing for it and that's meta-gaming and saying someone is coming back to life later ruins the surprise, that why I kept my mouth shut about it because i wanted it to be a surprise, and it was my choice to keep it so. keep off eli's back on the bringing back the dead thing.

Nowhere in that post did i say anything about arc dieing, so you need to stop reading into things.

Vaurature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AGWizard on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Vaurature wrote:
Arc/Sieg wrote:

Nowhere in that post did i say anything about arc dieing, so you need to stop reading into things.

That's obviously what the point is referencing. ether that or Hardeu but I find the latter unlikely.
AGWizard
AGWizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaurature on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Arc/Sieg wrote:
Vaurature wrote:
Arc/Sieg wrote:

That's obviously what the point is referencing. ether that or Hardeu but I find the latter unlikely.

Or your just looking into it to far....And it was just an example.

Vaurature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oak on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:04 am

I find god-modding very annoying, and Vaur you have done it to me before.

*Oak Swings a fist at Narkov

*Narkov blocks the fist and stabs oak in the gut

*Oak coughs up blood

*Oak swings a vine at Narkov

*Narkov catches it in mid air.

That literally happened.
Oak
Oak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hardeu on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 am

Vaurature wrote:When i started this, i meant it to begin as a suggestions thread, not a release for any emotions you've built up.... All of my suggestions would help in their own little way, For example: A MOTW that tells us what we should expect to happen, THIS DOES NOT MEAN telling us that a fire dungeon is coming, and how to get through it. More like, : MOTW: Be prepared for a dungeon at anytime this week, it is planned. Or: MOTW: someone is going to die, but don't fret, they will be back sometime soon.

Little hints that something is going on story wise would keep us from going off on tangents. And if you see someone who is generally trying to rp, but is ignored, atleast try and rp with them, unless they are trolling or something.

I love the God modding rules, that is perhaps one of my favorite rules as it stops /me shoves his sword through {person #1}'s Chest, killing him instantly. Or /me sneaks up and slams his palms on {Person #2}'s Temples.

all in all this is a great server, and if i had a choice of millions of dollars or this server, I'd choose the millions, and donate a few to Eli and Sight to keep it up.

Something you struggle with, severely.

Oak wrote:I find god-modding very annoying, and Vaur you have done it to me before.

*Oak coughs up blood

That literally happened.

Happened on many occasions.

Why must all the action happen while I am away?

I'm completely clueless, but as to the 'super character' thing, yeah, I didn't read the entire thread but if nothing was mentioned, mini-Jesus's should be un-mini-Jesusafied. First day "Narkov" arrived, he held a scolding hot blade while blocking a slap, all while shoving a dagger to my throat. This was literally a few hours after the re roll, plenty more occasions of mini-Jesus moments but that's all I have to say about 'super characters' or whatever it's called.
hardeu
hardeu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KraftyKlutz on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 am

I'm mostly new to Rp-ing in Minecraft, and I will admit that I unintentionally god-modded on very few occasions, but I support what Hardeu and Oak are saying, as I've been in a similar situation with him. Than again, there were other people guilty of doing this, whether unintentional or otherwise

KraftyKlutz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:38 am

Not all powergaming/god-modding will be stopped, mainly because you know. Accidents happen. However, this does not mean that players can go around and throw a dagger from 2 miles away and impale the eye of a flea sitting on the throne of some king. That would be irrational. Now lets say a player threw the dagger in the first place.

Sight throws a dagger.
The dagger lands about 20 feet away and imbeds itself in a tree.

This is acceptable. However...

Sight throws a dagger.
The dagger expands to the size of a bastard sword, soars through the air, catches on fire due to it's velocity, then cuts off the head of thirteen other players.

This is not acceptable. No matter how cool it would be.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 am

Sight wrote:Not all powergaming/god-modding will be stopped, mainly because you know. Accidents happen. However, this does not mean that players can go around and throw a dagger from 2 miles away and impale the eye of a flea sitting on the throne of some king. That would be irrational. Now lets say a player threw the dagger in the first place.

Sight throws a dagger.

Sight throws a dagger.
The dagger expands to the size of a bastard sword, soars through the air, catches on fire due to it's velocity, then cuts off the head of thirteen other players.

THANK YOU! Someone who finally gets my definition of god-modding! But even something to a smaller degree could be god-modding. For example, a man who grew up as a nobleman, with no fighting experience, suddenly throwing punches as if he was a boxer just doesn't make sense. And a character who specialized in one type of magic who can suddenly use all magic, or a character who mastered all magic by age 15, is god-modding. Given the circumstances, it is not possible. Therefore, I consider it god-modding.

My definition of god-modding is different from Eli's, and I don't know how similar it is, but I define god-modding as "any action which, under the character's current circumstances and with the character's skills, would result in a breaking of either universe-defined or game-defined rules, possibility or convention". This includes forcing other characters to do what you tell them, because it would break game-defined rules about turn-taking conventions. God-modding is all about circumstance and possibility. Could your character, under those circumstances and considering the skills they have, actually do what you're claiming they can?

In Dungeons and Dragons/Neverwinter Nights/Knights of the Old Republic/insert-Bethesda-game-here, god-modding can be prevented simply through dice rolls and game mechanics, which keep things neutral and based on chance and skill. However, since this is not the case, we kind of have to moderate ourselves. That's why I was so ecstatic before about the rules being introduced: it means, essentially, an end to god-modding, and the establishment of guidelines about what is conventional, reasonable and possible within Betelgeuse.

Perhaps we could introduce a rudimentary dice-roller, if such a plugin exists? It'd be good for preventing god-modding, but we could also use it to roleplay casino's, gambling and fortune-telling Wink

EDIT: FOUND A DICE ROLLER!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Qualin_Silverward on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Pan N'el Dar
Pan N'el Dar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaurature on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 am

hardeu wrote:
Vaurature wrote:When i started this, i meant it to begin as a suggestions thread, not a release for any emotions you've built up.... All of my suggestions would help in their own little way, For example: A MOTW that tells us what we should expect to happen, THIS DOES NOT MEAN telling us that a fire dungeon is coming, and how to get through it. More like, : MOTW: Be prepared for a dungeon at anytime this week, it is planned. Or: MOTW: someone is going to die, but don't fret, they will be back sometime soon.

Something you struggle with, severely.

Oak wrote:I find god-modding very annoying, and Vaur you have done it to me before.

*Oak coughs up blood

That literally happened.

Happened on many occasions.

Why must all the action happen while I am away?

I'm completely clueless, but as to the 'super character' thing, yeah, I didn't read the entire thread but if nothing was mentioned, mini-Jesus's should be un-mini-Jesusafied. First day "Narkov" arrived, he held a scolding hot blade while blocking a slap, all while shoving a dagger to my throat. This was literally a few hours after the re roll, plenty more occasions of mini-Jesus moments but that's all I have to say about 'super characters' or whatever it's called.

Yes i know narkov was a good example of godmodding, and at the time no one had anything really against that, as oak was doing the same sort of thing, and most others were aswell. Something everyone has struggled with is godmodding, and we are all going to get out of it together. So drop it. Now. Or continue with arguments that are semi-invalid, because most if not all of us did the same thing on occasion.

Also when the hell did i hold a scolding hot blade? slaps and daggers i remember, but a burning blade?

Vaurature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaurature on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:17 am

Qualin_Silverward wrote:
Sight wrote:Not all powergaming/god-modding will be stopped, mainly because you know. Accidents happen. However, this does not mean that players can go around and throw a dagger from 2 miles away and impale the eye of a flea sitting on the throne of some king. That would be irrational. Now lets say a player threw the dagger in the first place.

Sight throws a dagger.

Sight throws a dagger.

THANK YOU! Someone who finally gets my definition of god-modding! But even something to a smaller degree could be god-modding. For example, a man who grew up as a nobleman, with no fighting experience, suddenly throwing punches as if he was a boxer just doesn't make sense. And a character who specialized in one type of magic who can suddenly use all magic, or a character who mastered all magic by age 15, is god-modding. Given the circumstances, it is not possible. Therefore, I consider it god-modding.

My definition of god-modding is different from Eli's, and I don't know how similar it is, but I define god-modding as "any action which, under the character's current circumstances and with the character's skills, would result in a breaking of either universe-defined or game-defined rules, possibility or convention". This includes forcing other characters to do what you tell them, because it would break game-defined rules about turn-taking conventions. God-modding is all about circumstance and possibility. Could your character, under those circumstances and considering the skills they have, actually do what you're claiming they can?

In Dungeons and Dragons/Neverwinter Nights/Knights of the Old Republic/insert-Bethesda-game-here, god-modding can be prevented simply through dice rolls and game mechanics, which keep things neutral and based on chance and skill. However, since this is not the case, we kind of have to moderate ourselves. That's why I was so ecstatic before about the rules being introduced: it means, essentially, an end to god-modding, and the establishment of guidelines about what is conventional, reasonable and possible within Betelgeuse.

Perhaps we could introduce a rudimentary dice-roller, if such a plugin exists? It'd be good for preventing god-modding, but we could also use it to roleplay casino's, gambling and fortune-telling Wink

There should be a /roll command actually. I'm not sure if it's a bukkit command, or a bukkit plugin command, but it does exist.

And i agree with your godmodding def as well.

Will not be on for an unknown amount of time, atmost till monday. Atleast, tomorrow if i can sneak on one of the computers or ipad in new orleans

Vaurature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum