Grievances

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Grievances

Post  Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 pm

I've read the rules page that was recently added, and most of those will help, but i have a few others that I've thought up.

- Not using the butcher command when any hostile mob attacks you, just kill it with your fist if you have to, because /butcher kills all of the other animals that someone might be using in their character. Or finding an alternate command that kills only hostile mobs.

- Not allowing any of your admins to break any of the rules, or giving anyone completely more privileges as anyone else, It gets to their head. Ex: (dont hold this against me, it was alright when i joined but then it got out of hand) Luna being able to reroll her character at any point in time, and while she might tell you, it got ridiculous for us. It is alright for example, if she was to be Luna/Anul, but Luna/Anul/PrincessLuna/Mariland.....Just way to much.

- While it is perfectly alright that you want to maintain control of the story, you need to include people who are almost always on in the decision. Ex: Four people working on the story , atleast half are non admins you can trust, such as, oak or ridgire, or anyone else with former experience with stories. the other 2 would be you two, or whoever writes the story.

- If a character (like a berserker) wants to kill someone else, don't stop them, but tell them that if they want to kill them they need permission, or need to tell you if they are going to regain control and just injure them instead.

-


Last edited by Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vaurature

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Mining all the diamonds on the map, like a boss?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Eli on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Butcher will be used at our discretion.

Luna's characters was a multiple personality thing, which has been added to the list of "shit that isn't gonna happen anymore"

There will be one person writing the story, and while they will accept suggestions, they won't be changing the story based on whatever someone wants to see. That's how it devolves into so much shit.

I don't understand what you mean by "don't stop them from killing the player, but tell them they need permission". That's already how it is. Please explain what you mean.
avatar
Eli
Admin
Admin

Posts : 123
Join date : 2011-12-30
Age : 27

View user profile http://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Eli wrote:Butcher will be used at our discretion.

Luna's characters was a multiple personality thing, which has been added to the list of "shit that isn't gonna happen anymore"

There will be one person writing the story, and while they will accept suggestions, they won't be changing the story based on whatever someone wants to see. That's how it devolves into so much shit.

I don't understand what you mean by "don't stop them from killing the player, but tell them they need permission". That's already how it is. Please explain what you mean.

Butcher makes it impossible for anyone to get any type of food aside from bread, or mellons, and therefore should not be used unless you plan on putting the normal animals back. As i said, try using another command that only kills hostile mobs, or create a farm like nadia had in her tree-house.

One person writing the story is semi-fine, but have a few people that you tell about it, so that no subplots have to be started to keep us entertained.

I meant that, if a person is going berserk trying to kill someone else, don't completely stop them in so much as telling them no, Just tell them that they need permission like we always do. this is sorta fuzzy for me aswell, because i was writing this in the middle of class, and have no idea what was going on in my head.


Last edited by Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vaurature

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Mining all the diamonds on the map, like a boss?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Eli on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:22 pm

We'll make a farm with spawners so that animals will continue to spawn there, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a command that kills only hostile mobs. I'll look for one, but I sincerely doubt there is one.

Making dungeons and other things that are necessary for major plot events takes time, and I would ask everyone to be patient while we set them up. Everyone trying to push them selves in as the villain doesn't help things, and only serves to frustrate us. As I said, we are more than willing to listen to suggestions for the plot, but we won't be acting on every one of them.

And as you said, we already tell people they need permission to kill a player's character. I don't know what else you're expecting us to do about it. In fact, we've changed the rule regarding PVP; you can view it in the rules section.
avatar
Eli
Admin
Admin

Posts : 123
Join date : 2011-12-30
Age : 27

View user profile http://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I agree with Vaur on all points.

I think butcher is completely and utterly unfair to players who want to RP animal husbandry and ranching, who spend time and effort collecting animals only to come online to find them gone. I'm not trying to be mean or throw accusations around, i'm just being brutally honest. For example, I spent probably about 1.5 hours luring animals into a sizeable ranch which took quite some time to build. I had 3 cows, 8 chickens and 4 sheep, came online, every single one was gone. Eli thankfully was honest enough to admit that they were butchered, but that doesn't make it any less unfair. Butcher should not be used, period, until some method can be created in which non-hostile animals won't be killed. If this means a mod or plugin, then so be it.

I see where Vaur was going with the admins-not-breaking rule thing, especially god-modding. I'm especially glad that a rule was introduced regarding god-modding, because I feel this is a serious issue. When people are going around saying they're going insane, they have amnesia, they have 6 different snake characters or say they have four multiple personalities, it gets to be too much. I am a method roleplayer, which I've heard is rare but the point stands nonetheless. For those who don't know, method roleplayers roleplay exactly how a character would react realistically in a situation. I personally am finding it difficult to find an accurate IC reaction for people constantly saying "/me picks you up over his head and carries you all the way out of the bar" or "I manifest a ghost and close it back into my body". My reaction will always be the following: "Qualin is shocked/Qualin gasps/Qualin's mouth is wide open".

The god-modding is getting ridiculous. I'm serious. NO character should be able to break the rules of the universe. It was specifically and methodologically pointed out that no character, once dead, can be ressurected, and all of a sudden Sight is back about three days later. Please. FOR THE LOVE OF NOTCH. DO NOT GOD MOD. PLEASE. I find it annoying and irksome, and it shows a complete lack of creativity. Characters can be strong in other ways, and do not always need "uber l33t magickz". That is literally the only thing on the server which bothers me to the point of ranting. If you need to retcon, fine, retcon. But god-modding should be an absolute and total no-no.

The multiple personality thing, too, is irksome. As is the melodrama. Please, can we be creative with our storylines?

The inclusion thing is also important. All I want to say is that, if one person is writing the story, they should try to include as many ideas as possible. Maybe we need an official "story ideas" thread?

I don't understand the berserker idea, either. Can you elaborate or message me on the forums and tell me the situation which provoked that?
avatar
Pan N'el Dar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Also, may I suggest that some in-universe rules are posted about what is possible and what is not?
avatar
Pan N'el Dar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  LunaMarilandValentine on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Just got a few things to say here.
1. Luna's Multiple personalities were tied to the PLOT. I had planned for each of them to be tied to a dungeon and that once the dungeon was finished and the boss defeated they would fuse with the Luna you all know and love. It would not give her powers only different aspects of her true personality which had always been fragmented to begin with.
2. Stop whining about butcher. Eli rarely if ever uses it and he didn't use it to just protect himself.
3. Resurrecting people from the dead is not god-modding it is a viable part of magic but that won't be included in part of the next step as that will be something impossible.
4. Things take time to build, if you guys can't be patient enough to give us time then maybe you shouldn't be here. I hate saying that but you need to learn that things take time to set up and not everyone's schedual is the same. I'm constantly on and off because of classes and having to do homework so I only had two dungeons completed. Becuase everyone was pushing their own sub-plots I was finding it hard to actually implement the plot I had devised.
5. I have always been willing and open to listen to suggestions but no one ever said they had an idea, no you guys went to sight who wasn't writing the plot. I have decided that I will not be in control of another plot again becuase I'm not going to deal with the sub-plot shit again.
Now, if you guys have suggestions plot-wise you should tell them to all three of us (Eli, Sight, and myself).
avatar
LunaMarilandValentine

Posts : 393
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 26
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Qualin_Silverward wrote:I agree with Vaur on all points.

The inclusion thing is also important. All I want to say is that, if one person is writing the story, they should try to include as many ideas as possible. Maybe we need an official "story ideas" thread?

For one thank you for agreeing with me.

I'm not asking for you to let everyone add small things to the story, but maybe tell everyone what your planning, and make sure that it's being done while the first chapter is going on, such as: If we start a rebellion to kill someone like sight again, then tell us who the evil persons going to be, and tell us when specific events should occur, such as This chapter is going to be 3 weeks long. And then tell us what is acceptable in the way of subplots, such as, for this chapter you can have romances, small feuds, and possibly a death{only if you want the 2 day temp ban]. This allows us to have fun while you set up the next chapter of the rp.

Luna, Resurrecting sight was one thing [as he had a good reason for it], But completely taking a dead body, Arcs, and making it living and breathing is another.

Vaurature

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Mining all the diamonds on the map, like a boss?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  LunaMarilandValentine on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Vaurature wrote:
Qualin_Silverward wrote:I agree with Vaur on all points.

The inclusion thing is also important. All I want to say is that, if one person is writing the story, they should try to include as many ideas as possible. Maybe we need an official "story ideas" thread?

For one thank you for agreeing with me.

I'm not asking for you to let everyone add small things to the story, but maybe tell everyone what your planning, and make sure that it's being done while the first chapter is going on, such as: If we start a rebellion to kill someone like sight again, then tell us who the evil persons going to be, and tell us when specific events should occur, such as This chapter is going to be 3 weeks long. And then tell us what is acceptable in the way of subplots, such as, for this chapter you can have romances, small feuds, and possibly a death{only if you want the 2 day temp ban]. This allows us to have fun while you set up the next chapter of the rp.

Luna, Resurrecting sight was one thing [as he had a good reason for it], But completely taking a dead body, Arcs, and making it living and breathing is another.

Killing and resurrecting him was part of the PLOT! But again no one ever ASKS anything!
avatar
LunaMarilandValentine

Posts : 393
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 26
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:13 pm

LunaMarilandValentine wrote:
Vaurature wrote:
Qualin_Silverward wrote:I agree with Vaur on all points.

The inclusion thing is also important. All I want to say is that, if one person is writing the story, they should try to include as many ideas as possible. Maybe we need an official "story ideas" thread?

For one thank you for agreeing with me.

I'm not asking for you to let everyone add small things to the story, but maybe tell everyone what your planning, and make sure that it's being done while the first chapter is going on, such as: If we start a rebellion to kill someone like sight again, then tell us who the evil persons going to be, and tell us when specific events should occur, such as This chapter is going to be 3 weeks long. And then tell us what is acceptable in the way of subplots, such as, for this chapter you can have romances, small feuds, and possibly a death{only if you want the 2 day temp ban]. This allows us to have fun while you set up the next chapter of the rp.

Luna, Resurrecting sight was one thing [as he had a good reason for it], But completely taking a dead body, Arcs, and making it living and breathing is another.

Killing and resurrecting him was part of the PLOT! But again no one ever ASKS anything!

If your writing a plot for a server, you need to make sure that people know what the hell is going on before it happens, dont just expect people to ask. Relying on us to ask is shirking a responsiblilty. Atleast tell people outside of your rp faction whats going on, And yes there is an invisible line in the server of people who rp together, with few that go in both.

Vaurature

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Mining all the diamonds on the map, like a boss?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Eli on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:26 pm

We had been planning to revive Arc ever since we killed off his character. That was one of the conditions of him allowing us to kill it off, which again was for the plot.

We won't be telling you everything that's going to happen because that would eliminate any surprise or point in even having a plot. Its like reading the last page of a book before you read anything else.
avatar
Eli
Admin
Admin

Posts : 123
Join date : 2011-12-30
Age : 27

View user profile http://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Eli wrote:We had been planning to revive Arc ever since we killed off his character. That was one of the conditions of him allowing us to kill it off, which again was for the plot.

We won't be telling you everything that's going to happen because that would eliminate any surprise or point in even having a plot. Its like reading the last page of a book before you read anything else.

Yet for an rp, you need a small group of people that don't mind, to keep the rp on track.

Vaurature

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Mining all the diamonds on the map, like a boss?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  LunaMarilandValentine on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Vaur, that's what the admins and moderators are for.
avatar
LunaMarilandValentine

Posts : 393
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 26
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 pm

LunaMarilandValentine wrote:Vaur, that's what the admins and moderators are for.

Admins that aren't doing a very good job of it, and yes i know you have other things to do, but you don't really keep us notified at all. This is the equivalent of a shrug from you Luna

Vaurature

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Mining all the diamonds on the map, like a boss?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Eli on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm

What, exactly, do you want us to keep you notified of?
avatar
Eli
Admin
Admin

Posts : 123
Join date : 2011-12-30
Age : 27

View user profile http://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Vaurature on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Eli wrote:What, exactly, do you want us to keep you notified of?

like i said in the above posts, those are all things that could be in the motd.

Another thing, If you think a character isn't deep at all, and the owner of the character tells you to read his backstory, read it and be enlightened by knowledge's brilliance, At-least have a reason to hate characters.

Vaurature

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Mining all the diamonds on the map, like a boss?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Sight on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:01 am

Vaurature wrote:
LunaMarilandValentine wrote:Vaur, that's what the admins and moderators are for.

Admins that aren't doing a very good job of it, and yes i know you have other things to do, but you don't really keep us notified at all. This is the equivalent of a shrug from you Luna


Admins that aren't doing a very good job of it? You know what. I work day and fucking night on this server, making it so that people have fun. I literally coded 2873 lines of fucking code so that you could all have access to plugins. I will NOT stand here and be insulted by some ungrateful douche-bag. I take time from my day, I get online at school, I even leave my girlfriend at home from time-to-time just to make sure shit is going perfect. So you know what. Fuck you.
avatar
Sight
Admin
Admin

Posts : 247
Join date : 2011-12-30
Age : 25
Location : Indiana

View user profile http://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am

LunaMarilandValentine wrote:Just got a few things to say here.
1. Luna's Multiple personalities were tied to the PLOT. I had planned for each of them to be tied to a dungeon and that once the dungeon was finished and the boss defeated they would fuse with the Luna you all know and love. It would not give her powers only different aspects of her true personality which had always been fragmented to begin with.
2. Stop whining about butcher. Eli rarely if ever uses it and he didn't use it to just protect himself.
3. Resurrecting people from the dead is not god-modding it is a viable part of magic but that won't be included in part of the next step as that will be something impossible.
4. Things take time to build, if you guys can't be patient enough to give us time then maybe you shouldn't be here. I hate saying that but you need to learn that things take time to set up and not everyone's schedual is the same. I'm constantly on and off because of classes and having to do homework so I only had two dungeons completed. Becuase everyone was pushing their own sub-plots I was finding it hard to actually implement the plot I had devised.
5. I have always been willing and open to listen to suggestions but no one ever said they had an idea, no you guys went to sight who wasn't writing the plot. I have decided that I will not be in control of another plot again becuase I'm not going to deal with the sub-plot shit again.
Now, if you guys have suggestions plot-wise you should tell them to all three of us (Eli, Sight, and myself).

1. If something's story-related, just say it's story-related. No need to even say something else. I very much doubt that Luna saying "the multiple personality disorder is plot related, so please bear with it" would lead to people immediately saying "oh, that must be dungeon-related". And yes, there is an element of surprise involved, but part of the fun of the surprise is hypothesizing what the surprise actually is. Perhaps some addendum to the rules should be made that "tip-offs" about the plot should be kept private unless necessary.

2. I don't think it's whining, I think it's quite reasonable. Imagine if I suddenly took your mine, or your huge mansion and decided to blow it all up with TNT because "a bunch of hostile mobs were nearby". It's griefing--plain and simple. The rules clearly state "no griefing...period". If you intend to go by your rules, then don't butcher. If you need a dictionary definition of griefing, I'd be happy to pull one up.

3. Luna, it's god-modding if it breaks an established rule. I understand that Sight coming back was story-related, but the "no resurrections are possible" rule shouldn't have even been made if people didn't plan on using it. Not following a universe's established rules is what made Twilight such a bad book. Keep that in mind.

4. I understand and appreciate all that you folks have done for the server in your admin/mod capacities. Recall that I wanted to donate to the server because I said this is the best server I've ever played on. It still is.

That being said, we're all busy. I understand this as well. I work well over 50 hours a week between school, work and individual pursuits (don't ask, long story) and I still manage to come on and RP two or three times a week. Just because I disagree with the rules doesn't mean I don't want to be here, or that I'm "impatient" when it comes to plot. In fact, I find it pretty insulting that people can't do their own sub-plots while supposedly "waiting" for a dungeon. I for one enjoy the sub-plots greatly, and I'm not always waiting on the dungeons. I haven't even asked about the dungeons. The sub-plots shouldn't suffer because we want to railroad the dungeon parts.

Since you brought up the whole "if you don't like it, leave" logic, then let's turn your logic around. If you can't handle the admin job, step down and let someone else do it. Doesn't feel good to hear, does it? It's just plain hurtful to hear. That logic doesn't fly with me.

5. Ok then! Problem solved. I still think a "plot ideas" thread is a good idea, though, so that all of you admins see it as well Smile

@Sight: Like I said, I appreciate what you guys have done for the server. I tried to make a server myself way back when, and...well, I didn't do a very good job :/ Just because someone takes issue with the rules doesn't mean that they don't like the server or that they don't want to be on it. I like the server and I want it to improve just as much as you do; nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care.
avatar
Pan N'el Dar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 am

@Vaur: A person should not have to read another character's backstory on a mandatory basis. Ever. And if you did read the person's backstory and have your character "know" all of that information, that's metagaming, which is now against the rules. Besides, nobody wants to read a wall of text about a character just to be able to roleplay effectively. Just saying.
avatar
Pan N'el Dar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  LunaMarilandValentine on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:08 am

1. If something's story-related, just say it's story-related. No need to even say something else. I very much doubt that Luna saying "the multiple personality disorder is plot related, so please bear with it" would lead to people immediately saying "oh, that must be dungeon-related". And yes, there is an element of surprise involved, but part of the fun of the surprise is hypothesizing what the surprise actually is. Perhaps some addendum to the rules should be made that "tip-offs" about the plot should be kept private unless necessary.

2. I don't think it's whining, I think it's quite reasonable. Imagine if I suddenly took your mine, or your huge mansion and decided to blow it all up with TNT because "a bunch of hostile mobs were nearby". It's griefing--plain and simple. The rules clearly state "no griefing...period". If you intend to go by your rules, then don't butcher. If you need a dictionary definition of griefing, I'd be happy to pull one up.

3. Luna, it's god-modding if it breaks an established rule. I understand that Sight coming back was story-related, but the "no resurrections are possible" rule shouldn't have even been made if people didn't plan on using it. Not following a universe's established rules is what made Twilight such a bad book. Keep that in mind.

4. I understand and appreciate all that you folks have done for the server in your admin/mod capacities. Recall that I wanted to donate to the server because I said this is the best server I've ever played on. It still is.

That being said, we're all busy. I understand this as well. I work well over 50 hours a week between school, work and individual pursuits (don't ask, long story) and I still manage to come on and RP two or three times a week. Just because I disagree with the rules doesn't mean I don't want to be here, or that I'm "impatient" when it comes to plot. In fact, I find it pretty insulting that people can't do their own sub-plots while supposedly "waiting" for a dungeon. I for one enjoy the sub-plots greatly, and I'm not always waiting on the dungeons. I haven't even asked about the dungeons. The sub-plots shouldn't suffer because we want to railroad the dungeon parts.

Since you brought up the whole "if you don't like it, leave" logic, then let's turn your logic around. If you can't handle the admin job, step down and let someone else do it. Doesn't feel good to hear, does it? It's just plain hurtful to hear. That logic doesn't fly with me.

5. Ok then! Problem solved. I still think a "plot ideas" thread is a good idea, though, so that all of you admins see it as well Smile

@Sight: Like I said, I appreciate what you guys have done for the server. I tried to make a server myself way back when, and...well, I didn't do a very good job :/ Just because someone takes issue with the rules doesn't mean that they don't like the server or that they don't want to be on it. I like the server and I want it to improve just as much as you do; nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care.
[/quote]

I'm not going to step down because of an Asshole like you! Ok Eli uses Butcher because YOUR ASSES are about to be blown up by a FUCKING CREEPER WHILE YOU ARE TYPING!!! HE'S BEING NICE TO PEOPLE AND RARELY EVER DOES IT. I'M SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR BITCHING NOW. I DON'T PLAN ON LEAVING! WE NEVER SAID THERE IS NO MAGIC TO BRING PEOPLE BACK! THERE WAS NO RULE REGUARDING THAT YOU ASS!
avatar
LunaMarilandValentine

Posts : 393
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 26
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Pan N'el Dar on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 am

LunaMarilandValentine wrote:I'm not going to step down because of an Asshole like you! Ok Eli uses Butcher because YOUR ASSES are about to be blown up by a FUCKING CREEPER WHILE YOU ARE TYPING!!! HE'S BEING NICE TO PEOPLE AND RARELY EVER DOES IT. I'M SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR BITCHING NOW. I DON'T PLAN ON LEAVING! WE NEVER SAID THERE IS NO MAGIC TO BRING PEOPLE BACK! THERE WAS NO RULE REGUARDING THAT YOU ASS!

What you just wrote has caused me to lose a great deal of respect that I had for you as an admin, Luna. I expected a response like that from someone else, but not you. Everything I wrote was, I feel, valid points. I didn't say a single nasty word about you, and yet you sit there and call me an asshole when all I want to do is help. Thanks a lot.

If all people are going to do in this thread is flame people who have legitimate concerns and suggestions, might as well fucking lock and close it. That's NOT the way you treat your players.
avatar
Pan N'el Dar

Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  LunaMarilandValentine on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:26 am

Well Qualin I get angry I'm only human so I'm sorry about that. I'm just tired of people ragging on the server just because there is only so much we can do. We're trying very hard to fix the "mistakes" from earlier and honestly you had me on the verge of tears I was so angry and upset. I'm not feeling much better now but I feel you should know that I am human and that I have emotions.
avatar
LunaMarilandValentine

Posts : 393
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 26
Location : United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Oak on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:43 am

Okay I agree maybe a bit more in put on the plot, but seriously the admins aren't super-humans. I mean, it takes a lot of effort to both run a server and still role-play to the extent they do. Not to mention taking the effort to know every single one of us and respond to questions etc on a regular basis. Just because the server went down doesn't mean we have to have a huge argument about everything. So yeah, plot input is a good idea, /butcher should be used with caution but it is a relatively minor issue, but apart from that the server is catering for every individual player, they allow us to impact the plot, and I think the admins would have a lot more time to work on the server if we all just stopped arguing.
avatar
Oak

Posts : 86
Join date : 2011-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  AGWizard on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:48 am

Qualin_Silverward wrote:
LunaMarilandValentine wrote:Just got a few things to say here.
1. Luna's Multiple personalities were tied to the PLOT. I had planned for each of them to be tied to a dungeon and that once the dungeon was finished and the boss defeated they would fuse with the Luna you all know and love. It would not give her powers only different aspects of her true personality which had always been fragmented to begin with.
2. Stop whining about butcher. Eli rarely if ever uses it and he didn't use it to just protect himself.
3. Resurrecting people from the dead is not god-modding it is a viable part of magic but that won't be included in part of the next step as that will be something impossible.
4. Things take time to build, if you guys can't be patient enough to give us time then maybe you shouldn't be here. I hate saying that but you need to learn that things take time to set up and not everyone's schedual is the same. I'm constantly on and off because of classes and having to do homework so I only had two dungeons completed. Becuase everyone was pushing their own sub-plots I was finding it hard to actually implement the plot I had devised.
5. I have always been willing and open to listen to suggestions but no one ever said they had an idea, no you guys went to sight who wasn't writing the plot. I have decided that I will not be in control of another plot again becuase I'm not going to deal with the sub-plot shit again.
Now, if you guys have suggestions plot-wise you should tell them to all three of us (Eli, Sight, and myself).

1. If something's story-related, just say it's story-related. No need to even say something else. I very much doubt that Luna saying "the multiple personality disorder is plot related, so please bear with it" would lead to people immediately saying "oh, that must be dungeon-related". And yes, there is an element of surprise involved, but part of the fun of the surprise is hypothesizing what the surprise actually is. Perhaps some addendum to the rules should be made that "tip-offs" about the plot should be kept private unless necessary.

2. I don't think it's whining, I think it's quite reasonable. Imagine if I suddenly took your mine, or your huge mansion and decided to blow it all up with TNT because "a bunch of hostile mobs were nearby". It's griefing--plain and simple. The rules clearly state "no griefing...period". If you intend to go by your rules, then don't butcher. If you need a dictionary definition of griefing, I'd be happy to pull one up.

3. Luna, it's god-modding if it breaks an established rule. I understand that Sight coming back was story-related, but the "no resurrections are possible" rule shouldn't have even been made if people didn't plan on using it. Not following a universe's established rules is what made Twilight such a bad book. Keep that in mind.

4. I understand and appreciate all that you folks have done for the server in your admin/mod capacities. Recall that I wanted to donate to the server because I said this is the best server I've ever played on. It still is.

That being said, we're all busy. I understand this as well. I work well over 50 hours a week between school, work and individual pursuits (don't ask, long story) and I still manage to come on and RP two or three times a week. Just because I disagree with the rules doesn't mean I don't want to be here, or that I'm "impatient" when it comes to plot. In fact, I find it pretty insulting that people can't do their own sub-plots while supposedly "waiting" for a dungeon. I for one enjoy the sub-plots greatly, and I'm not always waiting on the dungeons. I haven't even asked about the dungeons. The sub-plots shouldn't suffer because we want to railroad the dungeon parts.

Since you brought up the whole "if you don't like it, leave" logic, then let's turn your logic around. If you can't handle the admin job, step down and let someone else do it. Doesn't feel good to hear, does it? It's just plain hurtful to hear. That logic doesn't fly with me.

5. Ok then! Problem solved. I still think a "plot ideas" thread is a good idea, though, so that all of you admins see it as well Smile

@Sight: Like I said, I appreciate what you guys have done for the server. I tried to make a server myself way back when, and...well, I didn't do a very good job :/ Just because someone takes issue with the rules doesn't mean that they don't like the server or that they don't want to be on it. I like the server and I want it to improve just as much as you do; nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care.

I honestly feel you and Vaur are complaining about nothing or at least things that they are going to be fix'd anyway... they try there hardest to make sure things are fun and it stays interesting. That's why they're redoing everything. Everyone needs to calm down. we should be able to discuss things without arguing.
avatar
AGWizard

Posts : 152
Join date : 2011-12-31
Age : 25
Location : Ohio, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Eli on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 am

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate having to play the diplomat? Because I do.

Butcher will, as I said, be used at our discretion. We don't use it for the sole purpose of slaughtering your livestock. As Luna said, I and Sight use it to prevent people from being murdered left and right, which breaks the flow of the roleplay. The other reason we use it is because when there are X number of mobs running around, it eats up a lot of memory, which we don't have to terribly much of. So we use butcher to kill the mobs so as to prevent our frame rate from dropping down to a crawl.

I'm trying to be civil, and I'm taking into account everything that's being quote unquote suggested. But what I'm seeing, and a lot of it is the manner in which its been presented, is a list of demands. We changed the title of this thread to Grievances because that's what it feels like. Sight Luna and I agree that it feels like this is being used as an opportunity to, for lack of a better term, bitch at us for any little thing you all find issue with.

The phrase "If you don't like it then leave" was never used. It was said that if you won't acknowledge that things take time to build, and expect everything to be done instantly, but most importantly if you're going to be impatient and naggy, then leave. All that does it put added stress on us.

We have no issue with sub plots. In fact, I encourage them. What we don't encourage is everyone and their dentist coming up with a subplot, and pushing it forwards to the point that it in effect becomes the main plot. If this is going to happen, we might as well not have a main plot.

This is also the case when, as I said, everyone and their dentist is pushing a subplot. At that point, you can only be playing around with it, but there's so many going on at once that we can't wade through the proverbial miasma of story ideas, let alone get everyone's attention or find a break long enough for us to implement a main story.

God modding is the act of deciding consequences without appropriate RP by forcing your actions on another character. Here is an example, taken from the Dalelands Beyond Neverwinter Nights 2 server's forums.


Bad: *Sovren hits Bauglund in the face knocking him into the mud and then ties him up and drags him to a guard* This might be satisfying for Sovren but it gives Bauglund's player no chance at all to respond.

Better: *Sovren attempts to hit Bauglund in the face and knock him into the mud *

Now Bauglund can respond in a few different ways. *Bauglund sees the blow coming and steps back in time, then draws his sword* or *The blow hits Bauglund as he's twisting out of the way. He staggers but stays on his feet and tries to punch Sovren in the ribs*. Or even * Bauglund is slow and the blow connects, knocking him over into the mud. He tries to roll over and get away* These ways of writing the action give both players much more opportunity to take equal part in the action.


Resurrecting Arc was not god modding. Never was it said in the rules that the dead couldn't be brought back to life. The only time this was mentioned at all was an instance where Eli said it in character. He could very well have been wrong, my character is not infallible.

I hate having to go back to Butcher, but it is not comparable to blowing up someone's house because there are mobs around. The fact that anyone could make that comparison boggles my mind.

And finally, you may be our players, and we appreciate the interest you've taken in our server. But when we as a group feel like you all are breathing down our necks and listing demands at us; when we feel like we're being insulted and borderline harassed, insulted and raged at, we will react as any person would.

I personally feel slighted on a regular basis. I try my hardest to be respectful to everyone that plays, regardless of how they themselves have been acting. One of the few things I expect in return is to be treated with the same level of respect, but it never seems to happen. I'm accused of things that I would expect people to trust me on. If anyone feels that I've been disrespectful to them, I sincerely apologize.

But I won't sit here and have my administration team bashed and insulted.
avatar
Eli
Admin
Admin

Posts : 123
Join date : 2011-12-30
Age : 27

View user profile http://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Grievances

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum