Betelgeuse Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions - Administrative

+2
hardeu
Sight
6 posters

Go down

Suggestions - Administrative Empty Suggestions - Administrative

Post  Sight Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:28 pm

This section is for suggestions that you think would benefit the server. We prefer if this section stays clean of all the 'this person is op' posts, and instead focuses more on things directly benefitting all players.
First Suggestion: The use of explosives. I have considered turning on explosions before, however, until we (the administration team) believe that all players can handle the responsibility that comes with having TNT and Explosive spells turned on, it will stay off.

Second Suggestion: The allowance of fire. We have turned off fire-spread, and this will stay off. However, we also recently turned off the ability to light fires using a flint&steel, due to the fact that players seem to think going to the nether IC is a good thing. We will probably be writing down some information concerning why we don't want players going to the nether sometime soon. As I was saying though, fire is turned off due to lack of responsibility. Once we think players can handle the responsibilities of travelling to and from the nether, we may turn it back on.

Third Suggestion: A new plugin known as FalseBook. This plugin would allow players to create ICs which are also known as Integrated-Circuits. However, the main focus of this plugin is not to create redstone contraptions, it is to allow bridges, gates, minecart additions, and other things. I would like to know what everyone thinks about this plugin before I consider adding it.

Admins Note: All of your suggestions WILL BE LOOKED AT. This does not mean they will all be considered, or that they are ignored. I do take the time to look at everything that is posted here. I mean everything. As do all the other admins, so please, do not feel as though your opinions do not matter.

-Sight

Last edited by Sight on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

https://betelgeuse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Suggestions - Administrative Empty Re: Suggestions - Administrative

Post  hardeu Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm against FalseBook. I think it could be tested to make sure it works smoothly, but a plugin regarding bridges/etc was used on a server I played on a while ago and it was very laggy. Also, I vote to keep explosions and fire spread off. Either of them on will ultimately destroy the environment, including both cities. I don't think it will be "fun", more of an annoyance and it'll become a chore to keep everything clean.

Regarding a previous topic; characters homelands. How big would they allowed to be? I've been writing a description of the homeland and I have a map of what it would look like as well. I would have included it with my character page but I haven't gotten around to putting it on my computer.

Speaking of benefits, I don't have a clue what you folks have in store, but the only beneficial think I can come up with as of now is plot events. Perhaps something may happen, leading players to another players homeland for an event. This would increase the background knowledge of characters and the world OOC and IC would become more of a populated world, rather than a continent of life in the middle of nowhere. Another benefit is aesthetics. There is a program you can use to have the entire server world put into one map (out of game). This could be used to explain the history on the Minecraft thread. Including labels and captions, etc.
hardeu
hardeu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Regarding the explosions thought. There is a plugin which allows explosions, however, eventually the environment heals itself. Which could be explained IC as Nature Magics and the planet healing itself. This could allow puzzles to be created which employ explosives. This would also mean that if a creeper went KERPOW and destroyed a section of your house, it would eventually regenerate itself, and no harm would be done!

Concerning FalseBook, do you mean that the plugin itself caused lag on the server?

And about the continents and such, we're still working on that. So we're not entirely sure about size and such. Preferably not too big though. And see if you can find what external thing that is that creates maps. That sounds helpful.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hardeu Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Sight wrote:Regarding the explosions thought. There is a plugin which allows explosions, however, eventually the environment heals itself. Which could be explained IC as Nature Magics and the planet healing itself. This could allow puzzles to be created which employ explosives. This would also mean that if a creeper went KERPOW and destroyed a section of your house, it would eventually regenerate itself, and no harm would be done!

Concerning FalseBook, do you mean that the plugin itself caused lag on the server?

And about the continents and such, we're still working on that. So we're not entirely sure about size and such. Preferably not too big though. And see if you can find what external thing that is that creates maps. That sounds helpful.

To what you said about explosions, if you can get that going, that would be fantastic and I'm all for it.

About FalseBook, yes. I don't know about now, but it's a plugin that causes multiple blocks to move as one, it caused network/connection lag.

And the program is Cartograph. I can't find a more recent/present version, but I know for a fact it exists because I saw a video about it not long after the most recent update.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

^For some information on the program. These are outdated however.

EDIT: Turns out this thread is still alive!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hardeu
hardeu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Mapping tool I will probably use: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(Changed my mind on the program)
That's assuming I can figure it out tonight.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hardeu Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 pm

That's good, they all generally worked the same. The one I was trying to explain showed the islands and larger buildings, not as up close as Tectonicus does.
hardeu
hardeu

Back to top Go down

Post  Eli Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Fire spread will remain off indefinitely. Allowing fires to be ignited may be turned on, but as of now it is off for the sake of keeping the nether clear, and so we can use it ICly. If you need materials from the nether, you can purchase them at the Legarian general store, or whatever the Miendienl equivalent is.

If we turned on fire spread, I can too easily see Miendienl burning down. Even if nobody intentionally lights a fire, it could happen do to accidental lava, an improper fireplace, or even lightning.
Eli
Eli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pan N'el Dar Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Explosions--They should remain OFF indefinitely. It is too easy a griefing tool, and it is far too easy to make a fatal error with some sort of complicated redstone wiring. I can't remember how many times my entire house would've blown up when I was experimenting with the "cannon" on the old server. If someone can find some sort of IC reason, great. But honestly, it's just too dangerous. Plus, it lags the server to shit, and plenty of people are reporting lag issues/performance issues already.

Autorepair--Not 100% sure how the auto-repair plugin works or how quickly things regenerate. Creepers are annoying as shit and plentiful in both Miend and Legaria. Chances are good that regeneration simply wouldn't outpace the frequency of explosions and the damage that would be caused.

Fire Spread--Flint and Steel could be used legitimately for, example, a fire place or the "permanent burning block spell" (forgot what it's called). As for traveling to the nether, it'd be great to have an IC explanation for being able to do it (especially for religious/superstitious characters such as Oak, Z'greel and Demetri). Other than that, there is no other reason for fire spread to be turned on. Eli's totally right; Miend could be burned to the ground in probably about ten minutes if something were to happen either accidentally or purposefully. My vote: flint and steel, yes. Firespread, no.

Also, Miend needs some sort of general store or trading post. I have looked literally everywhere and haven't been able to find one.

Falsebook--NO.
I can tell you from experience on a previous server that this can be used to generate infinite items (it's a bug, long story), glitch out the whole server, create an "annoyance machine", and various other unintended uses. Besides, I really don't see the point. Do we really need gates, drawbridges, etc. etc? Is someone building a castle or fortress or something?

I can attest to the lag issue. Not sure if it was the plugin itself or the working memory it took up.

Mapping Tool--I want it. Exploring is my destiny Very Happy
Pan N'el Dar
Pan N'el Dar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Alright so what I'm getting, is no fire spread. -Agreed.
Explosions are an eh. -Depending on how the regen tool works.
Mapping Tool -I'm getting it working as we speak.
Flint and Steel -Maybe if everyone can prove they can handle it.
FalseBook, so far no. -My reasons, mostly that we can use better minecart mechanics and such. There's a lot of interesting things I've noticed with it, but so far no.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hardeu Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:58 am

Sight wrote:Alright so what I'm getting, is no fire spread. -Agreed.
Explosions are an eh. -Depending on how the regen tool works.
Mapping Tool -I'm getting it working as we speak.
Flint and Steel -Maybe if everyone can prove they can handle it.
FalseBook, so far no. -My reasons, mostly that we can use better minecart mechanics and such. There's a lot of interesting things I've noticed with it, but so far no.

Sounds good. The flint & steel issue should be allowed provided fire spread is off.

As for FalseBook, I've looked into it a bit more, I think it should be TESTED and voted on. If there are certain features that cause lag, don't use them. If the plugin itself causes lag or any issues, don't use it.

I saw a basic feature on Youtube; you can create a massive door and it can be activated with the pull of a lever, the blocks of the door will disappear and there should be no lag.
Gates also look amazing, I think some pretty nifty things could be built with this plugin. There are also blocks that can be toggled; nettherack, when activated by redstone, it will light on fire. Soulsand can be morphed into Glowstone, and the bridge is pretty neat as well.

With FalseBook, some pretty clever things can be built for plot events. Say.. a time needy situation and players need to run their arse off to reach the end of the bridge before it closes. (Not sure if there are timers, but I'll just assume an abundance of redstone repeaters on the slowest speed could be used.)
The surface ring walkways and the staircases of Legaria could have some sort of involvement with the plugin; perhaps the inhabitants could build a contraption in character so they can keep us Miends out, but us Miends find a way to sneak into Legaria regardless - all thanks to this plugin.

Once again, I say TEST it out first, make sure nothing lags and nothing goes wrong, and then we can perhaps have a vote. All in all, I'm for FalseBook now.

This is OLD, but I'd assume the features are still the same and everything works relatively similar. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hardeu
hardeu

Back to top Go down

Post  nekoal18 Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:57 am

TNT And Fire-Spread MUST Stay off, Anything needing mass fires or large explosions should be consulted with the Administrative team. Personally, I can't see much use for them IC unless you are setting up some kind of trap. In which case, the Character who falls in said trap will most surely Die. And at this moment in time, no one wants to bother creating a new character for the server. Not yet at least....

Concerning the Plugin: Where the hell are we going to put bridges and what-not?
Better mechanics? Why? It's good enough as it is. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
Nah, don't intergrate this plugin into the server, I personally think it will be a waste of time and a sufferance on everyone's lag.

My surgestion: Try and see if you can get a Smart moving Plugin for the server, since it will greatly enhance RP IC. Downside: It is notorious for having rather bad lag spikes on servers that cannot cope with it >.<
nekoal18
nekoal18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 am

I have decided on installing the CreeperHeal plugin, which is allowing explosions. The environment will heal itself over a short period of time. It causes no lag, so no need to bitch. As for FalseBook, we've decided against it. For now. And the whole Fluid Movement thingy. So far, it takes me editting the .jar on the server, WHICH I don't want to do, because I could very well destroy the entire map. ^-^
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Smart Moving Concerns

Apparently a lot of players love this mod, and would like it to be on the server. I for one have never used it, though I probably should give it a shot at some point. Here are my concerns posted on one page:

•Modding the server's .jar file is dangerous
•Players would need to install mods to enjoy the full experience
•Players would need Smart Moving, and ModLoaderMP correctly or would not be able to play.
•I would have to modify the class files on the server's .jar file and this could corrupt the entire map.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hardeu Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Sight wrote:Smart Moving Concerns

Apparently a lot of players love this mod, and would like it to be on the server. I for one have never used it, though I probably should give it a shot at some point. Here are my concerns posted on one page:

•Players would need Smart Moving, and ModLoaderMP correctly or would not be able to play.
•I would have to modify the class files on the server's .jar file and this could corrupt the entire map.

Forcing players to install the mod can decline the amount of players we get in. Not everyone will apply if they have to download mods, especially if they don't know how to - no matter how simple some may be.
hardeu
hardeu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sight Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:40 pm

That is the exact reason I'm hesitant on it. That and the whole corruption deal.
Sight
Sight
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hardeu Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Sight wrote:That is the exact reason I'm hesitant on it. That and the whole corruption deal.

Yep yep, I'll stick to my suggestion regarding Tectonicus. Test it, if it works fine, keep it. It obviously won't be in use 24x7 (@Nek), but it can pull off some nifty things provided it's used properly.
hardeu
hardeu

Back to top Go down

Post  AGWizard Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Sight wrote:Smart Moving Concerns

i wasn't trying to suggest it more show people it cuz it looked cool is all. suggesting it for offline play.
AGWizard
AGWizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down